Friday 26 August 2016

A South African gamer venturing into the competitive Overwatch scene

For some time now the idea of where to try position myself in the esports scene has bugged me. After having competed in a multitude of online leagues and LAN tournaments since 2006, and having been disappointed with the trajectory of my last played title, the time came for me to weigh up my strengths vs. time and location constraints and how to best apply myself in such a dynamic environment.

To those of you who don't quite know me, or where I've been in esports, here's a brief run down of some of my prized achievements in Battlefield since 2012 as a co-captain:

Battlefield 3
Playing for Bravado Gaming (bvd)
South African National colors (Nations Cup – 2013)
1st – Do Gaming Championships (2012)
Top 8 – ClanBase NationsCup XVI (2013)
1st – Do Gaming Championships (2013)

Battlefield 4
1st – ESL Nations Cup 2014
1st – DGL BF4 Insta-Clash Cup (2013)
3rd – Do Gaming Championships (2014)

And here is my Overwatch profile after peaking at 76 in Season 1 of competitive:
https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/eu/sZZ-21566

---

Being a player from South Africa comes with one significant downfall - the inability to gain reasonable access to competitive communities that thrive in the major world hubs due to ping constraints. Overwatch has looked to diminish this downfall in its cleverly designed network optimisation, but the fact remains that it is not enough to compete at the highest level. Furthermore, the ultimate restriction of being far from the LAN destinations that matter remains. And this is what it's all about if we're going to put our lives into a competitive game. The window for achieving international success is a small one, and is preceded by a road paved with numerous risks, be it financial, emotional or otherwise. Nevertheless, in an increasingly interconnected world, there is more than enough opportunity to be involved through other avenues, a few of which I hope to tap into and offer some value to the community.

Through my student and working life I've tried to find the sweet spot in terms of my personality and where it fits into the productive world. Having previously held a job as a research analyst for over 5 years and competing at the highest levels locally in titles such as Dota and Battlefield, I've come to appreciate the often rigorous and attentive nature required to pull apart ideas into their smallest pieces and work step-by-step to analyse what's missing, what can be improved or quite simply appreciate what they all represent as a single entity.

This is the preface of what I hope to bring in my analysis articles/clips - clarity on trends, team strategies and gameplay in the Overwatch competitive scene. As a fledgling in the competitive gaming world, Overwatch strategies and metas are likely to be evolving quickly and as a fast-paced shooter often viewers can be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of activity on-screen. The need to slice up this action into more digestable portions awaits.
Using any feedback I get, I'll adjust the course of the analysis depending on what is working and in demand.

Briefly summarised, we're looking at:
  • Tiered segments of gameplay (tiering based on player numbers involved)
  • The factors in place to secure a good team fight, or lose a bad one
  • Performance analysis of hero picks at certain map stages
  • Performance breakdowns of professional teams
  • In time, colour casting on stream!
If you'd like heads up on when any new content is going live, make sure to follow me on my social media channels:


Expect the first article in this series within the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment